View Single Post
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 10:37   #85
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
To be fair Alan, anything sub-10s for the 1/4 mile is fast, whether it's a Tesla off the production line or a modified 240 with a turbo LS1 Chevy V8 under the bonnet. Also sub-10s is a bit academic whether it's 9.1, 9.4 or 9.9 as a slightly dodgy start could easily lose half a second or more or a better than average start could gain just as much. Just to get in that ball park needs a lot of power, torque and grip.

As for your idea of selling your Porsche and Skoda and replacing with a Tesla, Elon Musk is waving the order form as we speak! Given the current market you'll probably get more than you expect for the Porsche and possible for the Skoda too.

This other project you've hinted at a couple of times now wouldn't happen to be a 262C would it? I suspect Dan would see that as cool given the standard roof chop and slight "gangsta" overtones of the Bertone body.

I do have a couple of other thoughts on what it might be, among them a P1800, PV544 or another 244 similar but different to the RB. There is one more possible but i don't think that's as likely as the ones i've mentioned so far.

Something in the back of my mind says BEVs aren't great for towing, worth double-checking before signing over the cost of a house in some parts of the country for a Tesla!
All good points Dave.

As far as I understand the Model X has a programmable mode that sorts out the grip and so on (rather like F1 cars) and so makes it possible for most drivers to replicate a 9.5 second quarter mile (given fair conditions). I suppose that much is quite easy to achieve with very well behaved electric motors and clever computers. That is clever marketing - making it such that the average (or perhaps even below average) driver can achieve a 9.5 second quarter with no great skill.

I won't let on about my next potential project until I've been to see the motor car towards the end of next week. All I will say is that it is another Volvo, and I'll be keeping the RB whatever.

The Model X is (as far as I know) the only EV rated for towing at the moment - hence being attracted to that motor car. I do need a towing hitch half a dozen times per year, so that is a requirement for whatever replaces the Skoda (which is a very good towing car indeed). It does indeed cost as much as a house in some parts of the country - and three times what I paid for my first house (in 1984) - but there are no pockets in a shroud.

:-)