View Single Post
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 15:51   #1
pinballdave

Default Reversing a DPF delete?

Whilst doing some Vida readings to a P1 Volvo with a 1.6 diesel engine (the peugeot/ford lump) which is running a bit low on power with a ridiculously high DPF pressure sensor reading (100hpa at idle, and 700hpa at 3500rpm!). I was trying to run a forced regeneration, and Vida wasn't having any of it, instantly coming back with 'Operation Failed' whenever it was started,

Crawling under the car to inspect the DPF pressure sensor hoses, I noticed a some tell-tale untidy welding on the bottom of the DPF can, and further investigation found a bolt blanking off the DPF temperature sensor, with the actual sensor tucked away behind the headlight!

The only fault codes found in the car is a CEM-3A00 which translates as an 'ECM, Software faulty signal'. So it appears that someone has also been playing around with the ECM mapping.

Given these observations, it seems highly likely that a previous owner has tampered with this car in a manner that could earn the current owner a £1000 fine under the new regulations.

So the question is, has anyone successfully reversed a DPF delete?

The mechanical side seems fairly simple. The DPF/cat on this car would be due for replacement at the 150k service, so the owner was expecting it to need replacing, and it's not a particularly difficult job with the spanners.

But what about the ECM software changes that have mapped out the DPF (and probably the EGR valve as well, but we haven't got as far as checking that yet). I would assume that the software modifications would prevent the new DPF from regenerating, and it will end up blocked up with soot in a few hundred miles.

Can the DPF be 'mapped' back into the ECM software with third party tools (VDash?), or is this going to be an expensive main dealer visit to reload the original software into the ECM?
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote