View Single Post
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 12:23   #21
OldEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt109 View Post
Same issue here with a V90 Cross Country MY21, purchased in Sept 20, I changed from a MY17. The increase in noise was very noticeable between the two cars. I changed the tyres from the Michelins fitted as standard, to the Pirelli Noise cancellation tyres, which may a 3db difference.

I could not stand the noise levels so traded the car at 7 months old, for a MY21 Audi A8

Using an app on my phone, on the same road @ 60mph, Volvo V90 83db, Our other car a 19 Seat Alhambra 63db, Audi A8 54db.

When I was looking into the issue I test drove a S90 T8 78db, MY21 V90 CC 75db. So I can only say they must be either reducing the thickness of the metal, or reducing the insulation or both. It’s a big shame as the rest of the car was excellent
There is no way the Audi is doing 54db at 60mph. The Audi also uses the hifi to generate noise to 'cancel' the real road noise so perhaps your 'Phone App' is confused. To help 'quantify', 50db is 25% of 70db.

We usually define 75db for an average car at 60mph. It's very difficult to get under 70db and I doubt any measurement beating this.

A much more significant factor is the age of the tyres. You will quite often find people saying that they have removed a premium (fully worn) tyre and replaced with a cheap (brand new) Chinese tyre and concluding the new tyre must be better! My fronts (still relatively quiet) at 4mm will be replaced next week for the same Pirelli Zeros with foam inserts.