View Single Post
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 07:05   #39
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
It’s very difficult to come on and criticise someone’s listing. I know enough about LS (never met him) to know that he will have meant all this with the best of intentions.

To be fair tot the OP advertising this at 9k is very very understandable. Type 960 classic car into google and a 960 with 70,000 miles in presentable (not good) condition returns in Hampshire at £11,000.

There is a host of other 960 on there and I can tell you most of them have been on since I started looking around in March 2020. The green K ref at £6,750 really does appear to be the real deal and I think in reality if advertised at £6,750 in March 20 and accepting an offer may have moved. But it was advertised at £8k!

I am seeing 728i in good condition at £7,000, P38 range rovers at astronomical prices and 960s at £8-11k. But what the public don’t understand is that I have watched them from March 2020!!!

Then a 728i goes up for £3,500 and it’s gone a week later.

All we have now are sites like EBay, auto trader and Cars and classics with 728s, P38 and 960s all at £8,000 plus so I totally understand people pricing their vehicles like that however they need to understand that you may have to wait 18months to sell it (and in liklyhood it won’t go).

It’s a pretty distorted market out there at the moment and pretty hard.
Thank you for that. I also spend some time monitoring prices (mostly motorcycles, but also Volvo 240s - I know, I should get out more) on auction sites such as eBay and C&C. In my opinion public auctions are the acid test of real values (although there are some correspondents to this forum that disagree).

In my recent experience I see lots of Volvo 240 motor cars advertised at high prices, or with high starting prices or reserves that just do not sell. They get advertised again and again and each time lose a little credibility. Here is a good example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304278261...53.m1438.l2649

... it is a nice enough motor car, near the top of the good cars on private sale and so probably worth £4,500 of most people's money. This is the fourth time through the eBay mill on a couple of months, the first time it reached £5,100, the second £5,700, third £6,100 (on 15 Dec) - now it is at £4,700. At each auction the motor car fails to reach its reserve price in spite of some obvious shill bidding.

The point is sellers may ask any price they like, but if it is well above the market value then it won't sell. I rather suspect this has happened with Rikvdub's motor car, it was never worth £9,000, and may well not be worth £3,500 - the market will decide.

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2022.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Dec 28th, 2021 at 09:14. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: