View Single Post
Old Dec 15th, 2021, 19:33   #2518
Bican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Additionally, I have heard that some VEA engines suffer from degraded valve stem oil seals, which will allow oil used to lubricate the valve gear into the combustion chambers, thus increasing oil consumption and also adversely affecting the quality of combustion.

Sadly, these are expensive problems to resolve.

When I was a nipper, it was a doddle to remove the cylinder head from an engine and examine valves, valve seals, cylinders, pistons etc. Nowadays, it probably isn't quite so easy.

Does any forum member know a way to diagnose these issues without the expensive partial disassembly of the engine?
I'm afraid the issue with the oil consumption is a result of the carbon build up in the engine on intake valves and gradually on piston oil control rings. Driving in the ECO mode is perfect way for creating it. Another factor is long oil change intervals.
You might want to try changing oil frequently with flushes like TEC 2000. What kind of oil do you use? Switching to Millers or some other would help too. Certainly using better grade diesel does not hurt either or adding additives.
Also taking valve cover off might tell you more. Even buying a cheap endoscope camera and looking around intake and under valve cover might give you some insights.
That is what I would do before dismantling the engine.
Bican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bican For This Useful Post: