View Single Post
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 11:56   #148
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
I'm fairly certain the non return valve is alright - I took it off and tried blowing through it, it does seem completely airtight one way.

If the booster was gone would I still get the whoosh of air after leaving the engine off for a while? That sounds like it's retaining vacuum acceptably well?

Good idea on cleaning the ports. I've also pulled the throttle body and flame trap and I'm giving them a good clean.

Didn't see a gasket on the throttle body. Normal?

Is the PCV a common source of issues on these?

Didn't realise there were two temperature senors but that makes complete sense.

The car starts and idles without the CSI plugged in so I'm going to leave that out of the equation for the moment.

Thanks for the feedback.
There's a second valve within the servo that lets air in as you press the brake pedal, if the diaphragm seal in the servo has gone (most common cause of servo failure, when this second valve opens it's like opening the inlet manifold via the brake servo vacuum hose. That means the servo can still hold vacuum until the pedal is pushed then air rushes in via the valve as the pedal is pushed, through the diaphragm and down the brake servo vac line. Had one go that way on my Rover a few years back. Was a bit of a fiddle getting the servo past the master cylinder but i managed to swap it without removing the m/cyl - the Volvo looks easier in this respect.

The flame trap is part of the PCV system as well and the oil separator on the left side of the block. Blockages in it can cause rich and/or lumpy running and a good move cleaning the throttle body too. The PCV system is a common problem on redblock engines, always has been, even on the OHV version but on the OHC, even moreso as it is more enclosed and more critical to correct running.

Usually the temp gauge sensor is towards the front of the head, i wonder if the thermotime switch has been replaced at some point with a temp gauge sender? Wouldn't surprise me!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: