View Single Post
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 14:10   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post

It goes very well, the M47 in it is the smoothest example I’ve owned, and the real scoop is that it whips my petrol 940 on fuel economy. Owing to my stepsons’ additional needs, we have a very long school run to do (3hrs in total every day) and it was costing us £115 a week in fuel in my petrol 940. The 740 is doing the same miles for £87, which is somewhat unexpected! Easily the least thirsty petrol Volvo we’ve owned.

My old 740 saloon with B200F, cat etc was nowhere near that frugal, even with the cat gutted, and nowhere near as sprightly. Very interesting to see the differences between the K and LH Jetronic systems and the cams/heads fitted to the different motors.
That bears out what i've always maintained Phil that a n/asp engine will give better economy than a turbo unit developing the same power.
Depending on the source, power figures for the B230E vary from 131-135bhp, usually most quote 133bhp. The B230FK is 135bhp but the turbo only makes a big difference if you're "enthusiastic" on the loud pedal. Before that when it's not really on boost, it's just a low compression n/asp engine so isn't as lively for the same amount of fuel as a high compression n/asp.

Good to hear it's performing as a proper Volvo should though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: