Thread: Heater matrix
View Single Post
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 09:42   #12
brickman
Premier Member

As said, rhd = left footwell.
One of the easiest heater matrix I've ever done! (helped a mate with an audi that requires the windscreen to be remove to get to it, insane).

Tips.... Drain coolant from rad, and from block, flush and discard first if its manky, keep it if its all good. Tbh would takr the opportunity to flush it proper.

Once drained, get a thick black bin bag, cut it half open to make a big pool area in the footwell, duct tape it to the carpets and flick it under the matrix. Take vanity flap off side of footwell (t25 iirc), remove matrix, careful, lots of plastic things in there!

Replace, use behr or nissens, both well under £50 and are of the thicker type. There is a thinner one for hot country markets (not for the uk unless you like being dissatisfied with the heat, all volvos I've had have always had very good heating ability!). Behr and nissen and volvo blue box come with o rings.

Clean the ports with a brillo and remove any flakey old mank. Reassemble!

Car self bleeds the heater system easily.

If your footwell carpets are dirty or have coolant on them x they are very easy to remove. The front two wells and the rear carpets are three separate items. Easy to remove, and clean off the car, dry and then return.

I usually take them all out every other year, vacuum, blast with compressed air, vacuum again, then pressure wash, alternate with cleaner, then rinse out and let it dry. Even after 2 years the filth is unreal.