View Single Post
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 09:12   #1
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile Coolant Loss Woes

For a long time I have had to top up the coolant by about a header tanks worth once a week. I put this down to small head gasket leak and my garage confirmed this some time ago. Then I started having to top up with more coolant so I put the car in the garage to be chceked. There were several coolant leaks and we felt that we don't know how bad the head gasket is leaking until we eliminate the others which all needed to be done anyway. So I had a new header tank and pipe, I had a bad leak from there but I was still using a lot of coolant. We also knew that I had a leak from a seal at the top of the water pump so yesterday I had a new water pump and seals (third water pump in the last 60 thou, 2nd at this my current garage, previous one at a Volvo indi). The coolant is still seeping from one corner of the head gasket. If my coolant loss has reduced to a manageable level again I am going to have a new head gasket in the spring next year, if not she is going to go in very soon for the head gasket. When the time comes, are there any recommendations for the gasket? Can I still get an original Volvo one?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post: