Thread: My T-5R dilemma
View Single Post
Old Nov 4th, 2021, 10:21   #1
Timmilne

Default My T-5R dilemma

I live inside the expanded ULEZ zone in London, and so now every day I use the Gul T-5R is going to cost £12.50

I've had the car 15 months and done 15k miles in that time, so it really does get used — until now. That said, it's only on 136K and I'm only the second owner.

I've just had the MOT done and while it passed, there was an advisory about blue smoke to remind me I need to get the valve guides done. Along with a small spot of rust on the tailgate and fixing the heated seats, there's not much left to do on it.

But, my ULEZ dilemma is now biting. I have a ULEZ and summer-friendly Abarth Spider, but it's inevitable that the Volvo is only going to get used when there's stuff to lug around — and that might mean not very often. I don't mind the Spider, but grinding round winter London traffic in a manual isn't my preference.

If I don't use the Volvo very much, it's hard to justify keeping it. Assuming it needs to be an estate, what are the alternatives?

Something ULEZ-friendly — but, what?

A cheaper 850 that wouldn't matter if it sat around not being used very much?

Convert the T-5R to electric?

It's a pity — ULEZ has upset what was the perfect two car option — both got used equally and each complimented the other; part of the fun was always switching between the two.
Timmilne is offline   Reply With Quote