View Single Post
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 13:33   #338
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdave View Post
Why does the alternative to an uncontrolled free market economy have to be full on communism? Maybe all the market needs is a little light touch regulation to temper the extremes of capitalism that may lead to a fragile economy, or maybe like in the case of the fuel crisis, the media and PR departments need a little guidance to be less sensationalist and not trigger a panic.

We seem to be living in polarised times, where a choice of two extreme views seems to be presented as the only options available, even when a perfectly acceptable compromise would seem to be the way forward.
I couldn’t agree more with you. All is binary and simplistic. The masses like it that way. They don’t want complex problems with complex solutions. I agree the media has a part to play as below but I would put it down more to the media catering for what people want to hear and what politicians want to get across. Chicken and egg other way around for me.

As whippy points out below, brexit was the worst of it. Issues raised re complex supply chains and international relationships, political and border sensitivities, all played down by politicians to binary in vs out, project fear vs project reality. But that’s what the population wanted to hear and lapped it up. Despite those of us working in these industries pointing out the oversimplification.

I think it’s an educational issue in the U.K. I’m any case I have no idea how we can rectify it rather than continue down the same path.