View Single Post
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 11:05   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete View Post
He used a drop tester connected to the battery terminals and when I started the car it showed the correct charging current going to the battery.

Just started the car, 13 degrees and it turned over and started ok without giving the heat plugs chance to work. Bloody thing. 😊
A drop tester won't check the alternator. However there is a clue in what you just said - without using the preheat it started fine. That points to the battery.

What sort of battery is it? If it's a calcium/silver-calcium then it's almost certainly not getting a full charge and worse still, becoming sulphated as a result which will ultimately kill the battery in short order. Also is the battery up to the job of starting the car? It might be too small for the diseasel lump under the bonnet.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/ba...ee-952465.html

That's what should be in your battery tray, normally i wouldn't recommend Halfords for anything much but they appear to be the only people selling these now. I've seen countless posts now where people have fitted calcium batteries and suddenly experienced starting problems because their alternators are designed for normal lead-acid batteries (with lead-antimony doping on the plates instead of silver-calcium) so won't charge the calcium variety.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote