Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 15:00   #1172
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The decimal point is still too far to the right in the price IMHO. It's a brave restoration or parts mule really, someone would really have to want it as a base for resto to pay anything more than £250 but i think a respray in either Ford Chestnut Brown Metallic or Vauxhall Hazel Brown Metallic, both period colours and both much nicer than its current shade would improve its looks considerably.

Vauxhall Hazel Brown Metallic ^^^^^

Ford Chestnut Brown Metallic ^^^^^

By the time it's been repaired, refurbished and resprayed, you've spent £2500 minimum if done on a DIY basis. You then have a car worth £2500-3500 so trying to sell "as is" for that isn't a good idea!
That Ford colour is nice Dave, I like that.

The seller probably bought the nasty brown car for £250 and has been trying to sell it for about a year. I suppose it isn’t too much risk for him in that if he only has a couple of hundred in it then he can continue fishing for a mug. The advertising costs must mount up after a while.

I’d agree with your estimates, £2,500 to make it okay (although that probably wouldn’t cover a respray, that might be £2,000 on its own) to make a motor car worth £3,000. There isn’t really a margin, so the 244 can only be worth hundreds, not thousands.

Alan