Thread: 1800: - 1972 pv1800es
View Single Post
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 20:45   #249
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Hi Alan,

They are not just drilled holes, they originally had a short length of steel tubing welded to the aperture of the hole underneath to which the rubber pipe is connected (push fit). They are about an inch inboard of the outermost horizontal screws which secure the stainless steel hatch trim if that makes sense? and that is the area to go digging if it looks like they have been seam sealed over (a common issue) by an inexperienced bodyshop.

Possibly the best way if your holes have been filled in and cannot be resurrected is to drill a hole and insert some type of plastic tube with a splayed or washered top to stop it dropping through? this needs to be long enough to thread beyond the boot floor and into the rear valance area to ensure that water is kept well away from the cavity to prevent further corrosion.

Sadly a design fault with the ES and the cause of many rotted-out rear panels when the tubes become blocked. I push a length of 10 amp wire through mine annually to keep them clear.

Hope this helps,

Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvobysea View Post
Hi Alan

Just remembered I had some better photos of my car.
I have put some red lines on the picture to show location of drain holes.

Gavin
Hi Paul and Gavin,

Thank you so much. Now I’m making progress - I should be able to either find the drains, or if not then fabricate an alternative solution.

The exceptional value of this forum is demonstrated yet again.

Alan