View Single Post
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 11:08   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I think they used to be the king for safety, but not anymore. A lot of brands have caught up… Skoda, Seat, Mercedes, BMW, Mazda for example have produced cars with 5 star safety ratings. Volvo now have competition.

Volvo do appear on the safest car lists here & there, but not as much as we may think. Yes, they’re a safe car, but there’s alternatives if you research (brand/model varies, so don’t just think by buying a Mazda for example that it’ll have 5 star NCAP rating, as some models do & some don’t).

For a brand who’s core value is safety (Volvo), you’d imagine the safety awards would go to them every single year for a variety of models they produce hands down, but they don’t. That’s surprising really.

On another note, Lexus claim to be the most reliable car manufacturer. They won the award literally every year, so that statement is almost as true as you can get (they didn’t win it one for year fairly recently). Volvo are clinging onto their safety moto & still claim to be the safest brand… this isn’t the case because they aren’t winning awards consistently for the safest small car, medium car etc.

Safe brand in general? Yes
King of safety? Not anymore
There is much more to car safety than NCAP ratings , volvo were never too worried about having to comply with them when they were first announced . they just carry on with doing it their way and SET and exceed the NCAP standards .... Whilst Renault had to Build their cars to pass the particular NCAP Tests for example ,they made a big thing of it in their adverts . they never exceeded them or innovated things particularly themselves ..
I have never heard Volvo compare their safety with other brands .