View Single Post
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 12:40   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Without doubt Volvo still leads safety, agree with all the points above.

But I think the article is misleading, of all the popular electric cars, Tesla is the one sold as a performance exec saloon, most of the others are local commuting focused smaller hatchbacks like the Leaf etc. and I notice they have omitted the Korean manufacturers (Kia, Hyundai) who's electric models are selling well in the UK. With the benefit in tax breaks and lower lease costs of Tesla's it's easy to find sales reps in them instead of a 320D BMW with the obvious consequences. Jaguar makes similar cars to Tesla but they're still a cottage industry in terms of numbers.

Having driven a couple briefly and been carried in them - I personally think Tesla's a crap. The build quality is poor, and the desire of Tesla to control and track everything and prohibit non-franchised repairs is borderline anti-competitive. But it has to be said they've done a good job at kick starting the really usable electric car market, and as a novelty the cars are remarkable. But I expect in the next 10 years they will be acquired and re-branded by a major car manufacturer and will disappear along with Rover and Saab. Volvo, VAG, BMW, Mercedes etc, will catch them up and overhaul them - they have much more experience both building and selling cars and it shows.

Am I correct in thinking still that the Mk1 XC90 is still the only mainstream car in the UK where no passenger or driver has died in a car on car collision?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 7th, 2021 at 12:43.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote