Thread: 240 General: - New 240 suspension/engine advice
View Single Post
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 16:56   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollly244dl View Post
Great thanks for this.

Yeah the engine in it only has 51k on it and no drivetrain noise, haven't got the car with me at uni so haven't had the chance to go over properly yet.

Turbo was the route I was looking to go down (building the motor separately on the side) . Ideally looking for 200-250bhp range with still a decent sense of reliability.

What is the best way to achieve this with still a bit of simplicity and not completely break the bank?
Hmmmmmmm, 250bhp and reliable? Lexus 1UZ 4.0 V8 from an early Lexus LS400 complete with auto box as it's near identical to the AW71 found in later Volvos.

Alternatively a B230FT from a 940 and and MBC.

In either case you'd need the loom from the donor car unless you went down the Emerald/Megasquit route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollly244dl View Post
Thanks my plan for the time being would be just to lower and get to know car a bit. Seen some chat about cut springs and saving the money for coilovers in future. But heard mixed reviews.

I got the car at a decent price so not overly concerned about depreciation. However I do still want to keep a fairly original look and keep parts. I want to wait till I have the money to do it right so swap will be future project.
Whatever you do, DO NOT CUT THE SPRINGS!

It's extremely dangerous, despite what the chumps who have done it "successfully" will tell you. Cutting them alters the way the metal is tempered because of localised heat, this can induce stress fractures and all kinds of other nasties - i'm not a metallurgist but the whole scenario was explained to me by one, complete with scientific facts, figures and other things. At the very best you will have two springs on an axle with different spring rates as a result and consequently unbalanced handling to start with.

Quickest, cheapest and easiest way is to either fit a new set of standard GLT springs (they're firmer than the rest of the range) or buy a set of lowering uprated springs - don't forget uprated dampers too. Fitting thicker anti-roll bars (called "sway bars" in some parts of the planet) will vastly improve the handling without compromising ride comfort or ground clearance - could be important with the amount of speed humps in that London!

Also if you make the suspension stiffer, don't forget to firm up your upholstery, it will become very uncomfortable when you're alternately hitting your head and jarring your back because of soft seats in a firmly sprung car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW42 View Post
I think there's good advice on this thread about what happens to the value of a 240 if you modify it...

One option might be to fix it up as it is and try to get as much as you can for it as a factory spec car. You would then be a some way towards the purchase price of something actually designed to go fast and handle well in the first place. If you like boxy saloons, perhaps a skyline or similar. The early '80s ones are the coolest of them.
Sadly we never got the R30 Skyline over here, only the C110 saloon and C210 Coupe and they're rarer than unicorn dung now.

My advice is pretty much along the lines of what you're suggesting and what most others have suggested, get it running right as standard with the worn parts and then do things piecemeal until it's at the point he wants it. Running it as standard will also pay dividends in replacement parts cost, no need to buy things that are near-enough custom made.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: