View Single Post
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 10:21   #532
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
i dont think any companys dump concrete any more. they make huge blocks like concrete lego .used to build retaining walls .
Are you referring to breeze blocks? Or suggesting a huge slab is poured to be later transported as a pre-fabricated retaining wall?

Both ideas have large flaws in, i can't remember the facts and figures and to be honest, i only knew a few of them (i didn't really need to know, i was just fixing/installing the equipment that made it) but in a pre-mix concrete plant there are so many different recipes for concrete depending on the final use that it's mind-boggling. Then there might be add-mix solutions added to the mix to retard or advance the setting characteristics, others alter the final top finish and so on. None of that would be suitable for a retaining wall.

In concrete block plants, again there are several recipes for the concrete used to make the blocks depending on the final application. The concrete is mixed, deposited into the formers/moulds for the concrete blocks which are then vibrated to make it settle and then transferred to a kiln to dry. The only heat in this kiln is from the concrete drying and believe me, it can get pretty hot in there!

As i'm sure you can see, even with this very basic explanation, there are too many external factors to be able to just pour a retaining wall from a rejected load of concrete. The wall still has to pass muster as a retaining wall so the strength and composition of the concrete is still important.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote