View Single Post
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 21:22   #161
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
Just been typing this!

Well, my friend brought round two Gunsons gastesters, a Mk 1 and a Mk 2. The Mk 1 does differ, has different scale markings for one thing.

Mine is a Mk 2. My friends Mk 2 was in a box and all in pieces, in poor condition, bent meter needle, wire off the meter movement and as you said the setting pot, the slider was not making contact with the track.

I removed the pot from my unit, fitted it to his unit, carefully bent the needle as straight as I could get it, mechanically zeroed the movement and with some hot glue re-assembled stuff. The system is very badly mechanically designed!

Applied battery power and switched to check, needle moved full scale, so good so far. Switched to the other position and I could adjust the reading to 2%. Brilliant!

Warmed up car engine and tested CO, got a reading of 2.5%.

Adjusted down to 1.3 % and went to fill with petrol, did about 7 miles, car perfek.

Not sure what I’ll do with the other Mk 2 gastester to fix it. Now we have a working one, I'm a bit loathed to disturb it.

I think the problem with the rough slow tickover might have been grot in the carb, fiddling with the idle mixture screw may have dislodged it.
When an engine is running rich like it was, sooner or later the plugs can't cope with the unburned fuel so one or more starts to misfire which in turn makes the others run richer due to increased load. I'm not sure what the CO figure for yours should be but 1.3% sounds more in the right ballpark than 2.5 so i suspect you have finally got to the bottom of the problem.

There are a few subtle differences between the Mk1 and Mk2 Gastesters, mostly cosmetic really. I think the Mk1 was better built overall though. The Mk2 felt flimsy in comparison.

Quote:
The Janspeed agent owner had lots of cars, I got to drive most of them. E-Type Jag, Jag XK 120, Aston Martin DB" perhaps, Jensen Interceptor, Bentley, Austin A40 with an MGB engine, Daimler Dart, MG Midget (of course with lots of Janspeed stuff), Mini Cooper S. and a Mini van with a 1275 engine. Probably other cars that I have forgotten, but his favourite was the Cooper S. The car went on display at main BMC agent Stewart and Arden in London.

Although a great enthusiast the Janspeed agent owner was a terrible mechanic, and terrible driver! Used to regularly crash his racing Mini, which was V fast, would out accelerate Jags in a straight line. I hope he does not read this post!
Quote:
Janspeed was (perhaps still is) in Salisbury, I used to go down there sometimes, occasionally would meet Jan.

I think I was just slow to learn! the Tech College couldn't really have been better!
Last time i was at Janspeed was the mid 90s and then not really there, i passed them on my way to another business nearby. Seem to recall it was a small industrial estate on the outskirts of Salisbury.
I've met and/or heard of locally a few "racing drivers" who are terrible on the road - i used to live near a Toyota dealership owned by a guy whose son was in motor racing and had his own dealership (for Peugeot) in a nearby town.
I think his son contributed to more written off Peugeots than most of the rest of the population! Never quite got the hang of the fact it was firstly a road car and secondly it was on a road, not a race track!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: