View Single Post
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 13:53   #33
V8XCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
Hi all, I'm a new xc90 owner. Or new to me anyway. 2009 automatic.
When braking her the brakes seem poor, or compared to a car anyway. Takes a fair bit of pressure before she starts to slow down.
Is this normal coz she's so heavy or should I be looking into it. She's not long serviced and brakes all look fresh.
I would agree, the mk1 XC90 brakes do feel quite poor compared to say a newer VW. When I sold the XC90 and got the Tiguan, I nearly put myself through the windscreen by pressing with the normal amount of force and had to quickly adjust to much sharper brakes.

It's worth doing a brake test, find a clear bit of road, take her up to speed then full emergency brake and see if you can get the ABS to come on. If not, then it would suggest the brakes are not working correctly in my opinion. A proper MOT brake test will tell you how good they actually are.

I changed all the rubber hoses on the V70 recently and along with new pads and discs and fluid it did improve the brake 'feel' making it seem to bite a bit earlier. I happened to use volvo parts as FRF Swansea had a good deal on at the time. Fit some endless pads and you won't have any issues

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V8XCV For This Useful Post: