Thread: Pierburg 2b7
View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2021, 09:47   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post

Very few people have a good thing to say about the 2B5/2B7 but none of the articles I've read over the years actually explain what the problems are, what causes them and what, if anything, can be done to resolve them other than ditching the whole carb. I'd be very interested if anyone's looked into this subject and has any answers to these questions.....

Not sue how this forum member got on in the end....

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=313364
The big problem is the same as afflicted many other carbs of the era Kev, the Ford VV, GM Varajet-II and similar oddities, usually created by manufacturers to suit their own cars.

They were essentially die-cast using cheap alloy/mazak which not only allowed for premature wear but also potentially becoming porous. Usually the premature wear got them before the porosity so they would hopelessly overfuel, usually during acceleration and if this was tuned out at idle, it would give a huge flat-spot during certain stages of acceleration. I'd say the thermal choke/time-switch on yours was probably faulty as well from your description although if some monkey had altered the throttle stop screw instead of using the idle bypass screw to adjust the idle speed, that would have made the problem worse for you.

Best course of action? Remove and bin it. If you really want to keep it, clean and polish it and put it on the mantelpiece as a display piece! Fit a Weber conversion instead!

Talking of which, i believe that's what the OP did in the thread you linked to, shame he hasn't wrapped the thread up really.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: