Thread: 1800: - 1972 pv1800es
View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2021, 15:32   #115
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That thread i linked to Alan was only started at 1405 today.

The speedo would probably pass the MoT on the 1800 as thy're not tested i believe (i think newer cars are but not older) and if you can't get in and out of the car using the door handles, that is a fail - however you haven't mentioned anything about not being able to get in and out of either door so i'm guessing you can open and shut both?

The lights, yes if they don't work will fail and may need some alignment (particularly the left headlamp) but you can probably get them as near as using the time honured method of a cross of masking tape on the garage door in front of each headlight, back up 10 feet and then align them to be below by a few inches - the Haynes Book of Fantasy (HBoF) should give some measurements for this.
Many thanks Dave - you really are a fount of knowledge on Volvo cars!

It is strange, I thought I'd seen the car in that thread in these pages previously (about the quality of the welding) - I think that must be the dementia on my part!

I didn't know about the speedo passing a MoT - but I see no reason to try it when it still needs fixing anyway.

I thought I'd mentioned about the door handles and window winders all tending to fall off because the securing clips are all missing in one of the posts above? If not my apology - it will be down to the dementia again. I would not be happy with the car being used without being sure the door handles would not come off in one's hand! The doors close, the latches and locks work properly - it is just the handles and winders that aren't right. The driver's door handle works - but just needs a clip to secure. The passenger side handle will need either a replacement or a repair, which is why I've fixed the winder on that side so the window can be opened reliably and the door opened from the outside.

I'll get the headlamps more or less aligned (on the garage door - the way you say - I've dome that many times) when I next get a chance to work on the car.

This forum really is marvellous - I'm delighted that there is so much interest and really useful advice and comment being posted. Even if I don't agree with comments, they are all useful and very welcome indeed (I do make mistakes - and sometimes I even change my mind!).

Alan