View Single Post
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 13:08   #76
Juular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
In line with what Bob said, i was in a similar position myself many moons ago. Car had been off the road and therefore uninsured due to various repair/refurb and other works i was carrying out on it and a few days before insuring it, a huge crack appeared in the screen.
I insured it anyway and waited a couple of days then put in a claim for a new screen. Windscreen company came out, fitted it and i took it for MoT the next day.

The ironic part was i had to use it the day after and picked up a chip in the new screen almost exactly where the original screen had a chip that caused the crack.
Bought one of those screen chip repair kits (clear resin, syringe etc) and filled the chip. That was 12+ years ago and the screen is still ok.

The big question for you is did the original screen come out in one piece, even if it was cracked or chipped? If so and you know of a local company that is happy to do insurance work, have a chat with them, they may be able to put through a chip repair but reinstall it (it's a repair of sorts after all) or simply invoice the insurers for fitting a new screen and either way, you've saved them half a job by removing it.
Good info on many points. I don't have anything to lose by trying the insurance route!

Your average insurance job screen fitter will probably love this job. No horrible old screen to remove, no seal to scrape out, just a nice clean freshly epoxied surface to blob the polyurethane on.

The old screen is trashed. I had grand plans of getting it out unscathed that lasted a whole five seconds!
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post: