Thread: Model years
View Single Post
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 16:42   #7
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, from an 03xc90 owner I agree.

It is not the bevel gear but the small splined shaft that fails. This was updated for many 06 onwards models but the shaft can still fail as you will see evidenced by later model owners on this forum. Mine had failed a couple of years ago and the replacement is the uprated shaft.

My previous volvo was an ex police persuit car with 238bhp v70. Although a tad faster acceleration, I experience little difference in overall power. I also tow but use a four wheel trailer when I do, often with another car or boat on it. I have never experienced lack of power, but it is a heavy old lump.

I also never had leaking skuttle but have had leaky sunroof drains due to failed neoprene drain pipe.

But I never had dpf issues! something I read much more more about. But then perhaps most spline drives are fixed or owners don't care in any case. Again my suggestion is to get a model with the options you value but be prepared for more expensive fixed based on a heavy and much more expensive car, whatever year. Mine has all the 'fruit' and with these oprio s just under £60k. But most of all clean inside and out with proven service history.

When these cars get older, there are some owners who just get rid rather than fixing problems that have hung around for years. Read mot history, a good sign that an owner is fixing problems.

I will go electric when I do change, but after four years just imagine how much depreciation I have saved with my old lump.

Best advice whatever with any volvo, invest in a good diagnostic tool such as vida and keep reading the forums!

John L

Last edited by john langrick; Apr 9th, 2021 at 17:00.
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post: