Thread: 1800: - 1800E on carbs won't start!
View Single Post
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 21:00   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek lemur View Post
Except I have no charging, or at least I should say the IGN light in the speedo stays on when the car runs. Could I have damaged the alternator by repeated attempts at starting the car with a booster charger connected I wonder?
It's possible but does the IGN aka charge warning light come on with position 2 of the key as it should?

I'm wondering if you've disturbed another wire that feeds the charge warning light which in turn feeds the alternator field terminal.

If it doesn't have a feed then it could be a back feed from the alternator so check the warning light lights as it should to start with.

After that, check the silly things like have you refitted the fan belt (i know! ), check the pulley is free to turn on the alternator, that the main battery connection hasn't come off the alternator and if it happens to be a battery-sensed alternator, check the wire for that hasn't come adrift as well.

Most Bosch alternators are machine-sensed so that's unlikely to be the problem but double-checking your connections for anything silly that might have been loosened by removing the EFi might just bring the fault to light.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote