View Single Post
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 13:14   #49
Juular

A coat of H80 on the crossmember to be followed by 2 part epoxy.

And the brake line bracket. Had to make a new one.

A delivery arrived!

Bits and bobs got an acid bath.

Then dunked in strong tea - the tannic acid helps stop the flash rust.

And a quick blast of galv spray. Why not.

The brake discs also got a bath in acid as they are almost unused but had a layer of rust. I'm very pleased at how they came up and to be honest I think I will just reuse them.

Did a brake line cleanup. Are copper lines standard fit?

Regarding the brake octopus, is it worth removing and servicing this in any way or should I leave well alone? Bearing in mind I will be completely replacing all fluid.

Next up, calipers. All bleed screws came out bar one. I blobbed some copper grease around it to stop weld from sticking.

Then built up a nice big fat blobby weld.

Then hammered on a fluted socket and loosened it right off with the impact gun. This is a good go-to method for removing broken bolts.

The piston seals were rock hard and the pistons would not come out with any amount of compressed air. I had to resort to a grease gun.

The problem is once one side falls out, you no longer have a seal to pass the pressure to the opposing piston. So I had to make a tool to hold one piston on the cusp of the seal and provide space for the opposite one to push out.

I then had to blast a pressure washer jet through each port and through the caliper bridge to push all the grease out. Then the calipers soaked in hot degreaser to remove the remnants.

A bath in paint stripper is next.

After which the seals, boots, bleeders will be replaced and a coat of high temperature paint.

Next, sorting out the steering gear.

No leaks present whatsoever, I'm not replacing any seals. I just have to bend the locking tangs back.

I didn't bother messing with the track rods, I just chopped them off and fitted a track rod removal tool which spun them off without drama.

Then the rack is getting degunked and possibly a coat of paint since I'm here. Then new track rods and ends of course.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post: