Thread: 0W30 or 5W30
View Single Post
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 07:33   #121
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
Wow, what an interesting thread. For what its worth, I personally stick with what Volvo recommend for my 07 XC70 D5 144K on the clock. It doesn't use any oil between changes.
If you use the good old ***bay sight, a genuine service kit can be bought from main dealers at reasonable prices. This is genuine parts, filters etc and Volvo Oil (yes I know Volvo don't produce their own oil). Lets face it, Its not like you are changing the oil every 6000 miles as was the norm before these high mileage oils were developed.
The price of this oil is also nothing like it used to be when it was first developed.
As has been seen throughout this thread, many peoples millage is well over the "warranty" period.
As has been said many times, Volvo invested a lot of money to get the best oil for their engine.
I would rather pay the extra (which is not a lot now compared to a few years ago) and have piece of mind that I have used what Volvo recommends.
The oil supplied by volvo will be decent oil, but manufacturer own bottled oils are made to spec to cost, not the same as a premium oil from a premium manufacturer. They will be made by someone like Total, Fuchs, Shell, Castrol etc and again is decent oil, but oil made to a singular spec for a singular end user for std road use is a different kettle of fish to a top-end oil. Further Volvo spec A5/B5 which is a base standard ACEA spec not a manufacturers extension and improvement thereof.
Again, just so you dont misconstrue what I'm saying, you are getting a decent quality oil in the volvo bottle so this is indeed a good route to take to ensure you aren't using crap 👍

Last edited by AndyV7o; Mar 11th, 2021 at 09:14.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote