Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 00:49   #2360
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Many thanks Dave - don’t worry, I’ll find it.
Are we expecting a big storm? In that case I think the bike trailer is a better option than riding the CCM tomorrow!
I’m much the same as you, I’ve just had to pop out to Aldi to get Bob’s chicken and a few other bits whilst my pork vindaloo cooks in the oven. If you get a mo post some photos of fitting the tint film, that would be a handy reference.
Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I've heard of juggling chainsaws or live hand-grenades but never pizzas!
According to the Harbingers of Doom aka the weather forecasters/rumour mongers, we're in for 60-70mph winds and seriously heavy rain tomorrow Alan! :eek!

Finally got the windows back in the door so it's secure and weatherproof for tonight at about 2300hrs, by the time i'd got everything back in and sort of tidied away (still got bits to do so left the tools out), threw the pizza and garlic bread in the oven (which sort of placated Sasha) and sat down with said pizza and garlic bread it was around 2330. Sasha was happy, first that i was eating at last and secondly that she was getting bits of cheese-stuffed crust and garlic bread.

Sadly didn't get any pics of the actual tinting but have before and after pics of the glass. Once the glass was clean, cut a piece of film to slightly larger and in one corner fit a piece of tape (i used insulation tape) on one side then on the other side, another piece of tape at right angles to the first.

Leave a folded over tab of tape on each away from the film so the two pieces can be simultaneously pulled to separate the clear backing film from the tinting film but don't do the separation yet.

Use a strong solution of washing up liquid in a plant sprayer, spray the inside of the glass. Now separate the back film from the tinting film, ensuring you catch the tinting film so it doesn't fall on the floor or anywhere likely to pick up dog fur or similar.
Place the film on the inside of the glass on top of the suds, move it around into position then use a squeegee from the centre outwards to remove the moisture and smooth the film out. Leave somewhere to dry and then using a scalpel, trim the excess edges of the film.

Same method can be used for the glass in the car, i've got a few bits to sort where the seals puckered the film somewhat but i was exhausted, cold and hungry and just wanted it back together so it was weatherpoof and secure.

The trailer is a wise move for tomorrow i think, good luck with the test if i haven't already said it!

I would probably have finished earlier if i had been juggling live chainsaws or running hand grenades - might not have been much left of me but i would have been finished!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: