Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 14:38   #2214
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Yes, the RB is quite nimble in the snow and ice. The auto box in particular is well suited.

The fuel consumption is pretty regular, The last time I checked (in the warmer weather) it was 25 MPG, and a little less in the winter when the choke is on a bit longer after cold starts is okay I think.

The heater is very good indeed - by the time I get to Morrisons (just a mile away) the windscreen vents are already tarting to blow a little warm, so the motor is getting up to temperature pretty smartly. Usually the temperature gauge is at its normal (middle) position by the time I get to the Aldi store (3 miles away) and the heater has made the cabin pretty comfortable.

The only fault I’ve noticed in this cold weather is that the top two lines of the heated rear screen don’t seem to work. It looks like it was bonded in the factory, so I don’t think it is worth worrying about as the lower elements work fine.

Alan
That's how i've always found RWD Volvos, except perhaps the 360 i had which was a bit tail-happy in the ice. That said all my other RWD Volvos have been auto and the combination works very well in the cold weather.

The heater sounds on a par with mine, about a mile and it's just starting to blow warm, 2 miles and the gauge is halfway between cold and normal and the 3rd mile sees it up to normal temperature. My Rover is similar but is usually up to normal temperature by 2 miles and blows hotter and harder than the Volvo.

I like to be very warm especially this weather but don't like using the Rover as being FWD doesn't have as much grip on the slippy stuff. Also hampered this year as it's still at the MoT garage awaiting collection due to lockdown.

My Volvo has a similar fault with the HRW but in reverse to yours - the only two elements that work are the top two! I think Sasha had a hand (or should i say paw) in defeating some of the others, i just have to find where her claws have damaged the wires on the screen!
That said i rarely suffer a misted rear screen, probably because the cabin is so warm!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: