Thread: Noisy air con
View Single Post
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 23:27   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
Whilst not dismissing the above advice (my own car has that exact foible) have you actually had a gander under the bonnet, and with engine off grasped the air con pulleys and tensioners to check for play or used a long screwdriver as a listen stick on the aircon pump casing when it's running.?

You wouldn't want to ignore a failing bearing, which might seize and snap a belt, what with the propensity of your engine to spit its dummy when an errant belt gets behind the timing case.
I haven't tested the pulleys, or tried the trick with a screwdriver. I'll give that a go this weekend to see if I find anything suspect.

An independent Volvo garage replaced the timing belt for me last year. I replaced the aux belt, a/c belt & tensioner myself last year too (All genuine Volvo parts).

I guess this is something for my local independent to have a look at. If it is the compressor that's the problem, I haven't got the equipment to evacuate the gas anyway. I might as well let him do that, as the car will be going to him anyway. Replacing a compressor is not something I fancy, or am equipped to do in terms of evacuating the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
It's the compressor. Diagnosed by a well-regarded Indy. Suggested on here when I was discussing aftermarket (new) replacements. Bought a low-miles OEM replacement in great nick from a well-regarded vendor, also local, and the replacement does it too!

Hey-ho, put it down to experience and all that.
Assuming that the compressor is the issue with my car, its best to buy a new one? How much are we talking?

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 25th, 2020 at 00:27.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote