View Single Post
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 15:56   #133
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Not that it makes any difference as it still covers the B230 but it's the 740/760 Haynes Owners Workshop Manual - not one of the Mickey Mouse "Service and Repair" manuals that don't give information.
Ah ha! That is why I could not find it in my BofH Dave, it is for the 240/B21 motor.

In my book there are just two sentences regarding timing belt adjustment in ch1.sect.30 neither of which mentions adjustment at TDC for #1, either for initial fitment or re-tensioning at 600 miles (just one sentence on that). I was not doubting you, and thank you for looking up the details.

I think we might have to agree to disagree about engines tending to stop at TDC - in my limited experience of 4 cylinder engines in cars and bikes they almost always stop at the 90/270 degree position before the pressure in the cylinder on its compression stroke gets too high, and the pressure in the cylinder on its power stroke gets too low so they more or less balance each other. This doesn't matter a fig of course, its only manifestation is that the starter ring tends to only wear in two places - otherwise it doesn't make any difference. You may well be right and I've just got that wrong over the years.

When I re-tensioned the belt on my B21a motor I didn't particularly set the engine at TDC (I had not heard of that requirement at the time), it was a little bit quieter afterwards though, so I'm guessing the belt was either a little bit tight or loose at that point.

All is well now :-)

Alan

PS. This is all the detail the 240 BofH contains (apologies for the poor photo):

Last edited by Othen; Oct 25th, 2020 at 16:09. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: