View Single Post
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 09:46   #9
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
I had the car in my watch list as well and saw it sold for the opening bid- same as you I thought it was a bit light but again I looked closely at the photos too.

Amazingly enough, given how rare an early 244 with that interior is, there’s another on eBay- unfortunately listed as breaking only which seems like a bit of a shame.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154139969387

Cheers
I'd noticed that car for breaking as well. I agree it is a pity to break a car that looks okay, but judging by the OP's car if the retail value is only about a grand, then the parts will be worth much more. On the positive side, breaking that car might keep a dozen others on the road for a few more years.

The OP's car is probably right on the cusp between being worth saving and breaking for spares. The rust does seem to have got a hold, one could either patch things up and give it a rattle can finish for £100 - which would last a few years but would come back again, or have it fixed properly (it looked like 4 inner and outer wheel arches, a fabricated panel at the back - and I suspect new sills plus redecorating) - I don't suppose that could be done under £2500, but the car wouldn't be worth £4,000 afterwards. The engine bay of the red car seemed to have been messed around with as well, mixed plug leads and I couldn't see the transmission dipstick anywhere - so there might be quite a few other things to right as well.

It looks like the OP decided to cut his losses, so I suspect he found the car to be a pup when he got it home. I think it had been for sale at £3,000 (in Scotland) previously, we don't know how much the OP paid for it though.

Anyway, this is all conjecture - but it was interesting to see how strong (or weak) the market is for 40 year old 244s at the moment.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 19th, 2020 at 09:48.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: