View Single Post
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 14:05   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I had considered those things Dave. I was mainly thinking that not knowing the OP's mechanical skills the timing belt replacement might not be a job they would want to undertake. My cars timing belt and tensioner was older than that and I was surprised how smooth the bearings were when I removed it.

Just a thought to get it started rather than chucking money at it if it's rotten
Very valid points Mark and while i agee a timing belt change can seem daunting, the red block is one of the easiest (and quickest) on the planet so taking into account the fact that it's also fairly cheap, it's probably (almost certainly) the cheaper and easier option in the long term.

Unless i'm mistaken, your car had been in use fairly regularly before you bought it? This one hasn't and it doesn't always take long for a bearing to Brinnel.

I've got one on my 760, on the A/C belt idler pulley. Completely seized. Previous owner had the A/C evaporator removed for no good reason ( he claimed it was blocked as nothing was coming out of the heater, hot or cold. Turned out to be the vacuum solenoids and dry joints causing that problem) and as such, the compressor wasn't in use. The adjuster had been backed off so it wouldn't drive the compressor even if the compressor clutch was engaged.

Another thing i have to replace due to misguided diagnoses on this car and before i can (hopefully) revive the A/C system!

However i have digressed - this back and forth between us gives the OP both sides of the options so they can do whichever they like with the risk of stripping/snapping the belt if it's not replaced beforehand.

From the comment somewhere above about climibing on the cold leather seats as a kid, i'd guess it's a 740GLE so would have the B230E in that case, most likely with the ZF4HP22 gearbox hung on the back.

Could be wrong and time will tell though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote