View Single Post
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 09:02   #171
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
Not so good, I thought I'd try and tidy the Torslanda alloys. Always had good results from Bilt Hamber stuff, and their wheel cleaner is well thought of. In fairness it too an awful lot of the ingrained brake dust/iron off, but when I put the wheel back on the car you'd be pushed to tell which one I had done...
I'm contemplating getting a set of 15" wheels at some point, no rush mind as the 14" ones fitted had new tyres just before I bought it.
Scruffy looking alloy wheels are an issue. I spent ages trying to improve the Trilogy wheels on my Skoda Superb (I think the reason why they all corrode is a lack of paint from the factory) but eventually gave up and had them powder coated for only £160/set. This has completely solved the problem and should last for years (certainly much longer than the factory finish). I suppose it depends how much one values one's own time, I thought £160 (plus two trips to Brum to drop them off and collect a week later) was a bargain compared with days spent trying to rub down and patch paint them - which always looked rubbish afterwards.

The Virgo wheels on the RB had already been powder coated (a nice grey colour) by the PO (I don't know how long ago), they look very smart indeed and the finish seems to be most durable.

Just an idea: if your 14" Torslanda alloy wheels are otherwise in good condition then £160 might be a good investment compared with buying a replacement 15" set?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Sep 12th, 2020 at 09:09. Reason: Addition.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: