View Single Post
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 21:24   #160
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
Thanks Alan. I guess that apart from the oil in the filter, little more will come out when removed since it's largely in the sump? I've only replaced the oil 700 miles ago so have no need to do that again..

That awkward bolt, do you reckon a ratchet spanner would do the trick without removing the alternator?
You can just unscrew the filter and you will only lose a little bit; spin it off quickly and keep it cupped downwards then do the same when you put it back on.

I tried a ratchet spanner but couldn't get mine in the narrow gap between the bolt head and the sides of the bracket. I used a cranked ring spanner - if you had a slimmer ratchet spanner it might work - but mine didn't.

Although removing it it sounds a bit excessive, the alternator is only held on by 2 bolts, and you don't need to take it all the way off, just swing it out of the way and it can wedge somewhere on the front valance. Disconnect the battery first of course, but you can probably leave the alternator's electrical connections in place.

Once you have that bolt out you only need the parts off the engine for a few minutes to change the mount (I took the time to clean them up in a bucket of solvent but one doesn't have to). So, from my experience I'd say drop off the oil filter, try your ratchet on the front bolt just in case it works - then if not drop the alternator forward and leave it wedged (or tie it up with some wire) while you get the brackets out. I couldn't see any other way to do it and wasted lots of time trying out lots of things that didn't work.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 28th, 2020 at 21:48. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: