View Single Post
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 15:17   #67
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Thanks Bugjam, I had no idea so we'll be doing that.

Today I had the timing belt done on my VW at the independent Volvo garage I've used the last 14 years - worked out rather more expensive than the one we did yesterday. I proudly told the owner how we'd managed the task in under 4 hours, and he smiled. He's a quiet, modest man, which made his response all the more shocking to me - apparently, he used to be able to do them on a 240 in about 10 minutes, assuming all the tools were laid out ready at the start. He even listed off the top of the head all the socket sizes needed for each part. From many I'd think it just bravado, but I believe him - he started working when 240s were common in their workshop, and reckoned he'd done several hundred over the years. 10 minutes/ 4 hours!

Something I noticed about the power steering - it works nice and light to the left even when hardly moving, but turning right is when it's heavy - any ideas what might cause that?
Someone reckoned it could be done in twenty minutes; on the early (B21/B23) engines it is really simple but the later (B200/B230) units it's more involved. 10 minutes is really impressive though - I wonder what his labour charge was? And how long it took him the first time?

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote