View Single Post
Old Aug 8th, 2020, 15:46   #19
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
The timing marks on the crank pulley are very difficult to see if you've never seen them before

They're actually a notch in two adjacent teeth - you align the valley between them with a casting mark on the block. I'll try and find a pic for you.

Here you go, better still. RobertDIY to the rescue

https://youtu.be/Efel75s7AVU
hi bud i did find them and used some paint as a clearer reference,cheers
hi all well its taken me 2 days on and off trying to dodge hottest part of the day as i have copd and get breathless easy esp when its this damn hot,it addles your brain and being a cambelt thats no job for a less than perfect brain!
i think a 10 thumbs owned this before and has tried to do several of the notes from mot ie the balljoint boots etc and not only rounded them off but broken and left several bolts from around the car,one being a waterpump bolt sheared just above the engine block and i was lucky after removing the old pump the remaining stud came out with a little help of a pair of tiny molegrips,
after that it was easy enough once i worked out the timing belt had hung up on a bolthead where it loops the crankshaft which explains why it was a bit short!!
the worst bit of the job is the tensioner hydraulic and has to be removed and in a vice to close it and takes an age to close one wind every 5 minutes for 30 minutes a time,i had to do so 5 times!first time wound back and stuck a small nail through to lock it released vice and nail bent.broke launched across my workshop!back to the bench and this time found a rivet that held but then found id forgot the plastic spacer that should be on top of the tensioner,off again and after slapping myself i got it right and fitted up ready to fire up later when the cauldron cools!pics later. peace