View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2020, 22:29   #213
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Do remember that they don't let us Yanks play with diesels but I have read a bunch about them here.

There's probably a Delta Pressure setup between the exhaust flow upstream of the EGR pipe and below. If there isn't enough difference in those pressures you'll likely get a CEL (USA carspeak for Check Engine Light).

The "14mm hole" in any plate you fashion will allow enough gas to pass through to satisfy the check software.

Visually, an inspector might see the plate sandwiched between the stock parts.
Do remember, these inspectors are trained and they've seen this jazz before.
It's a case where they don't have to be as smart as you...they have experience.

I'd love to see the expression on a caught offender's face. That goes for either side of the Atlantic.

Also remember, they may use a sampling statistic, say, every 5th car, to disassemble to inspect. This is when I'd expect an offender to be hit with the MAX FINE. Max Fine isn't the tailor down the street. Max sets your fun budget back 3 years. Just sayin'.

Catalytic converters were introduced here well before OBD testing. Removing said converters and replacing them with a run of plain exhaust pipe was said to be common. The offender would sell his removed converter for a princely sum.

The authorities required garages to visually inspect for converters' presence and report.
As a subsequence you saw "No test tubes" signs at service stations. NOBODY wanted to be anywhere near the big fine.
The garage owners surely didn't want to be the rat; even if required by law.

And no, the lie, "I was tuning my engine and needed to run it without pollution controls temporarily", didn't fly.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote