Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2020, 10:53   #999
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think a lot of people are realising new cars are disposable Alan and have decided if they're going to pay for something to sit on the driveway, they'll have something they can repair and actually like.

I had the previous gen Celica (the first of the pop-up headlamp models and what spawned the Celica Supra before the Supra became a model in its own right) and liked it a lot. Quite nippy despite being a 2.0 in a relatively heavy body (for the time) and i daresay if i still had it, would be worth a good amount now.
I think that is right Dave, plus us Brits (in particular) are afflicted with a strong sense of nostalgia in our national ethos. We don't like things changing too much. Just look at the housing stock - lots of Victorian places that are the wrong size and shape for life today, so we adjust out lives to fit (and then re-fit the Belfast sink that was taken out in 1970 to make it a bit more quaint). Americans would have replaced them with more modern houses by now, but that is not our way.

The same applies to older cars and bikes (and other machines). I like the idea of having the RB on the drive, and I'm looking forward to changing the head when the last few bits arrive next week. I wouldn't be trying that with our Porsche, and probably not even with the Skoda Superb.

The Celica was a pretty car; I really liked the Supra though: 3 litre DOHC straight 6 with 24 valves and fuel injection, discs all round, IRS (I think a LSD as well on that car) and pop up headlamps. It was pretty cool when people were still driving around in Ford Capri tractors :-)

Stay safe.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote