Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 05:49   #65
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
One question about gearboxes- Did the later auto boxes ever come with a cable drive to drive the speedo?

The speedo currently fitted is cable driven, Volvo swapped to an electronic speedo with a pickup in the diff cover in... 1982? 1984?

If you wanted to (and people have done so, to fit later engine and gearbox combinations to early cars, notably turboed engines) you could swap the rear axle for one with a speedo sensor in the diff cover, then build a hybrid instrument cluster out of the early ‘shell’ with a later electronic speedo inside. This would mean that a later gearbox with no cable drive pickup could be fitted. I imagine that might be a bit too much work for a swap to a 4-speedo auto gearbox.

Cheers
Fascinating Bugjam... I was just trying to imagine the Royal Barge with another 100 HP or so :-)

A question for you: I think you said you had converted your 240 4 speed manual to a 5 speeder. Was that a difficult job? I'm not ruling out a change to a manual gearbox, but it strikes me that if I went that way it might make sense to find a 5 speeder.

Best wishes,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 12th, 2020 at 05:51.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: