View Single Post
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 19:13   #3
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo940GL View Post
Hey guys. Lately I’ve struggled with a car that won’t start but cranks. It was the distributor that somehow changed position 180degrees. Now it starts but it runs too lean. Lambda 1.3.
5,7 o2
600hc
500ppm

Fault codes
2-3-2
1-1-3
2-4-1

It runs too rough on idle and I lose engine power while test driving. My trip teller shows between 700 to 4500rpm on idle. Plugs are black and full of soot. Timing marks are correct. Distributor has too much play and my rotor is very loose. So I think it’s my distributor that causes this problem. It spits back in the intake sometimes.
How did your distributor end up changing position by 180 degrees? As in the cap or the distributor itself? That's so bizarre. Did it come unbolted from the back of the head?

If your plugs are black and sooty the engine is running too rich. When you say your distributor has play, do you mean the shaft itself?

In my experience, problems of this nature with these cars come from the downline end of the ignition system (amplifier, distributor, HT leads, plugs) or metering (MAF, coolant temp sensor, knock sensor, lambda sensor). It sounds like your distributor is very worn and needs to be replaced. I would seek out a genuine Volvo replacement, likewise with distributor cap and rotor. Make sure you change the two O-rings (around the base and the tip of the shaft) too.

In my experience, these cars will not run perfectly without the proper OEM Bosch rotor and cap, and the OEM Bougicord HT leads. I've tried allsorts of other parts but none are even close in performance to the genuine kit in terms of smooth running and all-round driveability.

I'm confused regarding your statement about the idle-did I read it right that it's hunting between 700 and 4500rpm?
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post: