Thread: Any Advice?
View Single Post
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 21:24   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Hello all, new member here.
Until a few years ago I was a committed Volvo driver - 340, 240 saloon, 240 estate, 850, V70 then another v70 across three decades. Then I moved over to vw Transporter as we needed a van - shame Volvo don't make vans!

Anyway, that's a bit of background. New situation is my son wants a v cheap/ scrap car to work on and learn about mechanics, and will want a road-worthy car for driving once he passes his test.
Yesterday we hit a compromise car that ticks both boxes, having looked over a friend's car - a Volvo 240, preferably estate (so he can camp in the back - I used to do that lots when I was younger).
They look easier to work on than lots of newer cars (easier, certainly not easy for me, I know next to nothing about mechanics), lots of room around the engine etc. plus they look to be a decent investment. We both love them.

But then I looked at MPG on-line, and it seems people are getting around 20mpg?! I'm sure I used to get around 30 mpg from my 240 (I think it was a GLE) auto on average.
Sooo - two questions.

Am I right thinking they'd be good for him to learn about mechanics on?;
and what is a realistically achievable average mpg in a 240, and specifically, which one should we be looking for to get most mpg?

Any advice very much appreciated.
Chris
The volvo 240 used to do between 25 and 28 mpg average however you drove unless the journeys were very long then you might make 30 mpg .
I wouldn't worry too much about that , i havent examined a 240 for 15 years , i would think there could be rust problems these days unless you are lucky ..