View Single Post
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 10:27   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionprodan View Post
Hi there! Bought a Volvo V50 1.6d DRIVe (2010) two months ago for £1500 with 148.000 miles on board. Never bought a car before, and I think it wasn't the best car I could buy, but I can't go back in time. When I bought it, I didn't see any issues, the body is in really good conditions. Anyway, in a few days, I went to auto service because there was a small stone between brake pad and brake and there was a noise, but nothing serious. Also, they said that I need to replace injection seals and I did it for £250. I drove roughly 100 miles since I bought the car, and "Engine service required" appeared on my dashboard. I went to auto service again and they said that DPF filter must be replaced and this will cost me £650. I searched on the internet and I found there are some people who clean it and it could cost up to £320 or I can use some special liquids in diesel to clean the filter, so I bought three different DPF cleaners, and once I drove roughly 30 miles on motorway with 3rd gear with 50 mph speed, but it didn't help. I would ask your opinion it worth to clean it or to try to sell the car and buy a Honda Jazz is a better option?
Particle filters can't be effectively cleaned by means of additives , the regeneration process is the only way when the temperature is very carefully controlled at 600C which burns the deposit off . the particle filter has millions of tiny 90 degree corners which trap the soot , and it sticks there until burned off . revving the engine has no effect on cleaning what so ever , all you are doing is wasting fuel , just a drive at 50 mph in top gear for 20 minutes or so is enough .

Your particle filter is the long lasting type (if there is no additive tank on the back axle ) , at 150,000 miles it is probably at the end of it's effective life especially if the injectors have been leaking combustion gas which would have put the final death blow on the Particle filter.
You have bought somebody else's neglected cast off . so with a new particle filter you should have a good car again.