View Single Post
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 09:02   #20
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS07 View Post
New Q:
> Finding it difficult to source replacement 12V H4 45/40w bulbs.
(Originally bought over a year ago)
> What are your thoughts on swapping for 12V H4 60/55w halogen bulbs ?
*Must be H4 to fit the wire harness I have long had installed via Brookhouse.

Considering replacement of bulbs, as the afternoon gloom commences at 4:30pm nowadays, here. I feel now is time for a fresh set of bulbs as spares is a good idea.

In the meantime ;
Advice and opinion on bulb wattage Question (above), would be gratefully received
Brilliant! I reckon you've found the faults there then! A good session with a dremmel and a soldering iron can usually restore the old back lights. It has to be said they deteriorate and well respond to attention!

The Amazon wiring is pretty hardy, but there is no relay resulting in ALL the current for the lighting going through the switches etc. It's not a massive increase to go up to the halogen bulbs, but it is an increase! I have seen symptoms of overheating in the yellow wire between the headlight switch and the foot dipper in the past. A higher gauge cable there might be considered, but I'm sure that most Amazons have 60/55w halogens in them nowadays with no problems!

Yes, getting replacement 45/40 bulbs is getting difficult nowadays - not stocked in Halfords, for example - but still available to order online.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post: