View Single Post
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 16:44   #41
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Just wanted to make sure you meant the brush and not a bush, Has caused a few problems in the past!

Plugs, i prefer NGK but most reputable makes are good - Champion is not a reputable make! Make sure you check and set the gap correctly, 0.65-0.70mm, no more, no less or you will have problems. If it had a service, the plugs should be new or at least in good condition but bearing in mind the air filter, they may be on their last legs!

If you car is 1990, it DOESN'T NEED A CAT!!!

Only cars from 1992 onwards need one and sometimes even then, they don't, depending on chassis and engine codes.

For example my other beast is 1994 and is eligible for the BET Emissions test otherwise known as the non-cat test.

If you lay under the car and hit the cat with the palm of your hand, if you hear any rattles from inside it, there's a fair chance the honeycomb structure inside has collapsed.
When i say hit, i mean just hard enough to rattle it, don't hit it like you'd hit someone as if you wanted to kill them!
just checked the dizzy, the brush is fine, nice and springy and in good condition, its an ew cap and rotor but appeared to be something on the terminals inside so cleaned that off so they're nice and clean. I'll stick the new plugs on and give it a test, I got Bosch ones, they didn't have ngk, normally use Bosch and they are good from what I can tell.

thats good news on the cat then, I just assumed that if it was fitted it was needed, will have a listen and maybe take it off to see if its okay/ runs without.
ANDTWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ANDTWENTY For This Useful Post: