View Single Post
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 23:18   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDTWENTY View Post
Okay so I charged up the battery and put it back on, I checked the battery light and this comes on when the ignition is on so the lamp is fine, if I disconnect the red wire then about 3 lights go off such as washer, lights and battery. when the car is started the battery light goes dim, almost a half brightness along with the bulb icon, washer icon and what looks like a brake light with a ! in it, the abs light is always on, the oil light and lambda light go off though, is this normal?

I took off the voltage regulator to see if the bushes had worn but they are fine, the metal strips from the bushes are a little corroded so maybe the whole thing has seen better days? I can pick up a new one for £10, could this be worth doing? I can also get a brand new alternator for £90 at euros so thought maybe its better to bight the bullet and get that if the VR doesn't work. just not sure if I should try a new regulator or go for a whole new alternator?

Another point I have noticed is the fuel is on red and the light is on, will chuck in a jerry can tomorrow.

I managed to read codes using the flashing led in the bonnet, came up with lost signal to the idle air valve but that would be because I took it off earlier.

Theres a breakers yard next to me so will give them a call in the morning just incase he has one.
Not worth throwing a voltage reg at the alternator at all, sounds as if the rectifier has gone.
Also absolutely no point whatsoever reading codes, they'll be nonsense.

You need to sort the charging problem before you can go any further. Once that is sorted, pull fuse #1 for at least 30 seconds and replace it. Then take it for a drive and read the codes again.

No point faffing about with fuel pressures until you have the electrics right. You'll probaly find it runs fine with a decent alternator.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: