View Single Post
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 17:18   #31
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesh740R View Post
The B230K fitted to a 740 used the 631 Cylinder head. Its a flat head and there is no combustion chamber within the head. The combustion is all done within the the cylinder bores. So it is a key maintance item to replace the cambelt within the service intervals, as if it snaps it will cause contace and damage the valves.

The cambelt snapped 2k short of its service interval, heres one of the valves, quite a few had to pressed out of the head.

The B230A uses a convential head set up most probably a 405 head or a 530, not to sure to because never had any of these engines in my possesion. Also the b230k has a head mounted distributor where as b230A's have a convential Dizzy mounted in the block

My father had a 87 740GL with the B230K from new and it was a fine car and the only faults it had were the mechanical Fuel pump packed up, and we changed the pierburg carb to a brand new webber as the pierburg carb seemed to be probelematic with its auto choke, this was around 125k.

Its milege as i recall correctly was around 160k at the time and it was still going strong.

Other than that a great engine in a fine car and if it hadnt been written off in 1998 by some lowlife drunk driver ploughing into it i think my dad would still be driving it to this day or it would have been kept as a runabout in the family.

At least it died saving my dad's life.

RIP D163 EVC a truely fine car.

That Engine is not A B230K it is a B230KH and comes with extra emission gear . H stands for Heron , which is the type of head you explained pretty well .