View Single Post
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 21:55   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrynian View Post
A couple of times when trying to start the car, a message on the dash said to move the steering wheel then turn the key (or words to that effect).

Moved the steering wheel, the car then started and drove fine.

Then yesterday it wouldn't do anything at all.

Moving the steering wheel from lock-to-lock made no difference - just a few quiet clicks from within the dash/column area.

There was a complete lack of that nice, satisfying thunk when the steering lock solenoid opens or closes when the key is inserted or removed.

The AA patrolman (I was 65 miles from home) tried tapping the steering lock actuator with a small persuader, saying that sometimes then can get stuck - this was to no avail. The whole module was red hot as well.

While awaiting a tow truck I tried one more time and it all burst into life, at which point we called the AA and said thanks but no thanks to the relay and drove home.

Questions that have arisen from chatting to my local mechanic;

- is this likely to be caused by the steering lock actuator itself or the ignition keyhole thingy?

- can the steering lock module be replaced on its own, or is it part of a complete steering column swap.

If anyone has any experience with this situation I'd be grateful for a steer in the right direction (pun intended) :-)
you need to get the steering lock changed very promptly , Otherwise you will need a tow truck to take it to the dealer , the column has to come out to change it and the new one will need software loaded .