View Single Post
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 22:15   #43
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
But with a diesel with a particulate filter Cat an adblue SCR you get less CO2 and practically zero NO2 or N2O and a clean exhaust. So better than petrol.

I used to work in the chemical industry and we fitted SCR's to our Nitric acid plants to reduce the nox emissions (we used ammonia gas and Methane "Natural gas" not adblue) and the emissions reduction was dramatic and the exhaust stack went from a ginger plume before SCR to invisible after SCR fitted and Nox down to a few ppm.

The SCR technology is so good we could trade surplus carbon/Nox limits to other companies who could not meet the standards and make lots of money. Dont ask me how that works but its a government scheme.
Just to expand on your post somewhat. These nitric acid plants are probably the same ones that go on to use the acid to manufacture ammonium nitrate, which is an alternative N fertiliser to [imported] urea [the only ingredient apart from water in Adblue]. These are also the factories that shut down the other day, resulting in a severe shortage of food grade carbon dioxide which hit the news big-time.

I find the back-stories and backround detail of things like this, which many people might not realise were connected, the most interesting bits of the big picture.
I think there were or are nitric acid plants in the U.K. at Ince, Cheshire. Billingham up north. Maybe elsewhere?