Thread: Pothole woe!
View Single Post
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 00:41   #10
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Update:

Reported the pothole to Staffordshire County Council Highways Dept., it was logged as a first report and a reference number has been issued to me.

A visit by an engineer is scheduled, all of which implies that they weren't already aware of the defect, so fingers crossed I may get some recompense!
My understanding of the incidents like this is that Council can’t be held negligebt if they aren’t aware of the pothole. This is simply because there is no negligence involved as there is no way for them to repair it if they do not know the existence of the pothole. There are two ways that they would normally know the existence of potholes 1) Reported by someone and/or 2) They find it during their inspections.

If they said to you that it is the first report on that particular pothole then just to check it out what they are saying is correct maybe it is a good idea to access inspection reports relevant to that road and then take it from there.